How Opportunity Tags work
Opportunity tags can be found on an opportunity under Report on the Overview page, below the Executive Summary.
Opportunity tags are sorted into two groups: Technologies and Services. We define them as:
Technologies - shared between companies. Think code languages, data center or cloud provider regions, and technology you’re using from vendors.
- Examples: Python, US-East-1, Consul
Services - created within your company. Think of all the things managed by teams and named by them, they’re likely acronyms, named after the product they support, or something fun/silly.
- Examples: JSA, site-backend, Gandalf
Managing Opportunity Tags
Adding and Creating tags
Anyone in your organization can add existing tags or create a new tag in Jeli.
To create a new tag:
- Click on the + Add button next to Technologies or Services. If the tag does not exist, you’ll see a Create tag
tag nameappear in the drop down, as seen in the image below.
- Click Create tag to apply the new tag in Jeli 🎉
Once you add tags to Jeli, this will allow Jeli to search across your opportunities for mention of the new tag. In the example below, Jeli will search across your opportunities for mention of “Grafana”.
To add an existing tag:
- Click on the + Add button next to Technologies or Services. This will show you a list of tags to choose from.
- Select the tag from the drop-down list. In the example below, selecting
AWSwill show related opportunities that mention
Removing and Deleting tags
Anyone in your organization can removing tags from Opportunities, or deleting tags. For deleting tags, we’ve put extra prompts in place to make sure this is something you want to do.
To remove a tag:
- Click the
Xon the tag you want to remove from Technologies or Services, as you see
Consul Xin the image below.
- Let the list of opportunities refresh with the new parameters. You’ll see a green ✅ when this is complete.
To delete a tag:
- Click the
+ Addbutton so the drop-down list of tags appears.
- Click the 3 dots >
- Enter the name for the tag you want to remove in the prompt, and click
Understanding Auto-tagging & Tag Creation Advice
Once a tag is created, Jeli will automatically search through all the Slack messages across all of your Jeli opportunities, and match tags to message contents. Tags can be applied automatically by Jeli, or manually by you.
Auto-tagging: The tags applied to your opportunity automatically by Jeli will have sparkles ✨ and a rainbow outline. Opportunity tags are applied as they are matched with message contents, and are not weighted in any way based on how they’re displayed.
Manual tagging: Manually add tags by clicking “+ Add” and typing in the tag you’d like to include in the query.
Node.jswill auto-tag an opportunity in the instance someone typed
Node-jsbut not when they type
Node js. A tag of
Elasticsearchwill not auto-tag an opportunity mentioning
Elastic searchand vice versa.
We recommend choosing your tag’s phrasing based off what is frequently used in your organization, and then check a few incidents you’d expect to be automatically tagged with that service or technology. If the opportunity tag you expect is not applied, check to see how the service was phrased in the Slack messages across those incidents.
- 3 - 24 characters long
- Contains only alphanumeric characters, periods
- Not case sensitive
- We recommend avoiding common words used frequently in response conversations. Such as
To learn more about related opportunities and how they work, check out our article How to use related opportunities in Jeli.